Peak Web Consulting built and/or runs the networks of many of the largest Web 2.0 companies today. We architect multiple national 10Gig backbones as well as smaller, single-GigE, content-service networks. We manage connectivity between datacenters around the world, but when appropriate we provide services that match business case needs over long-term planning. We implement national transit and peering policies for our customers as well as designing and implementing the local area networks in each data center.
Our customers typically outline their goals, e.g., the number of servers or data centers supported or a volume of bandwidth projected to be used. The customer is then turned over to our engineers who have the project management skills to “own” a customer solution, providing (with the assistance of technical peers and support staff) any or all needs for the customer, often throughout the entire process. This includes business development, design, task deliverables, implementation, documentation, hand-off, and continued support. We have the freedom to learn many different aspects of technical, business, and communication skills.
Peak Hosting’s customers make commitments for work so engineers do not have the typical “feast or famine” consulting experience, even if the cost to Peak Hosting’s business is slower growth than some “get-rich-quickly” professional services organizations. Peak Hosting engineers become a part of the family for our customers and are around to see each project through to completion. Peak Hosting also strongly encourages cross-pollination between customers so engineers work on multiple networks sharing lessons, expertise, and knowledge on a variety of architectures that meet different business requirements.
At Peak Hosting, talented engineers are trained to become world-class consultants. Engineers solve technical problems; consultants solve business problems. Consultants are hired to achieve business goals, not just configure network gear. Consulting goes far beyond technical prowess. It requires effective communication along the customer’s entire management chain, from the individual contributor to the CEO. A consultant builds consensus and sets expectations, planning not only how to do things right, but accounting for what can go wrong.
The Solution Architect is the primary technical resource for the national sales force. Working in conjunction with the sales team, the Solution Architect will actively drive and manage the technology evaluation stage of the sales process, serving as the key technical advocate and advisor.
The qualified candidate must articulate Peak Hosting’s offerings to prospective customers, both technical and non-technical. The candidate must be able to quickly assess customer needs, challenges, and opportunities developing proposals and solutions on the spot based on Peak Hosting’s product offering. Successful candidate must be able to identify and track all technical issues to assure complete customer satisfaction through all stages of the sales process. The candidate must establish and maintain strong technical credibility and build trust throughout the sales cycle.
- Develop and deliver product demonstrations to customers and at conferences, seminars, and trade shows.
- Respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs/RFPs.
- Convey customer requirements to the Sales, Product Management, and Executive teams.
- Build credibility and trust with customers in person, on the phone, and via video conference.
- Gain customer acceptance and develop a rapport by solving problems and explaining or demonstrating cost reductions and/or operational improvements.
- Understand managed hosting technologies, including but not limited to: server, storage, network, virtualization, back-up, load-balancing, and SAN well enough to satisfy the needs of any customer or prospective customer, no matter how technical the audience.
- Collect technical requirements from customers, and then design, diagram, and propose effective solutions to each customer’s unique requirements.
- Possess sufficient depth of knowledge to impress customers, handle objections, and field questions or alternative ideas.
- Acquire sufficient industry domain knowledge to contrast Peak Hosting’s offerings with those of our competitors’.
- Articulate the distinct benefits of Peak Hosting and Peak Total Operations throughout the sales process.
- Assist Sales with sales order creation to ensure it is accurate and meets all technical requirements.
- Audit quoting system to ensure the product listing is accurate and complete.
- Audit marketing and sales collateral to ensure it accurately reflects all product offerings and technical value propositions.
- Provide input for and review technical aspects of marketing collateral.
- Write (preferred) and/or review (required) internal wiki docs for: sales training, product description, FAQ, etc.
- Act as a conduit between Sales and Technical Operations, addressing all post-signature technical questions and clarifying customer requirements.
- Act as the primary technical customer contact for “what if?” questions both pre and post sale.
- Constantly improve professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, growing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Identify industry trends, and provide insight, information, and recommendations pertinent to the decision-making process.
- Travel throughout sales territory.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated problem-solver with a proven track record in technical solutions selling or sales-engineering, particularly in the managed hosting space. The Solution Architect will be at the core of a dynamic geographically-distributed technical organization with a rapidly expanding customer base. The candidate must possess strong presentation skills and be able to communicate effectively and professionally in both the written and spoken forms, whether in email, RFP responses, or customer interaction. The successful candidate must be organized and analytical, able to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches.
- 3-5+ years relevant experience in vendor sales
- Experience and familiarity with our products and line of business a plus
- A B.S. in Computer Science or a related field is strongly preferred
Note: A Solution Architect, as defined by Peak Hosting, may have experience from a variety of job titles including Application Engineer, Field Consultant, Pre-sales support, and Area Support Engineer.
Strong preference for Bay Area California (primary) or Houston Texas, but Peak Hosting will consider other geographic locations for the right candidate.
How To Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to
PLEASE: No 3rd party consulting firms, contractors, non-local candidates, and/or candidates not authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.